Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Winter Ramblings

Today's high was 28 degrees, with the low expected to be around 17. When i ventured down the hill to run some much neglected errands in town this afternoon the wind chill was at 21 degrees. The sun was shining so brightly though, showing the snowy Smokey Mountains in gorgeous relief. It is always a beautiful scene driving down from my hill- the view of the valley and the Smokies never ceases to take my breath away. The ice had melted from all but one stubborn shaded part of the hill down, so driving was easy.
The only precarious moment was walking from my parking space into the bank across a very icy parking lot. It still amazes me that i feel a little more cautious these days- is this part of growing older? i suspect it is....and the subject fascinates me. Or am I simply sick of getting hurt (the recent tears in knee ligaments that seem to take forever to heal). Perhaps it is simply a combination- knowing as you get older the balance may be a little more precarious, the reflexes not as quick as they used to be and definitely takes longer to heal. Not that i am feeling old...simply older...as i near 60 which i do really consider still young, i seem to be more aware of my body of movement, and to think a little more before just simply jumping in...and again as i said this i find fascinating.

I notice this also as i watch the girls (my mares) - and other horses- my yearling jumps and runs without a thought where as Soli our oldest mare thinks a little as she walks and canters and runs...Nikki the "middle" mare is a combination of the two...so in nature I see what i am feeling.


Meanwhile baby Aggy ( the rescue pup now 10 months old) grows stronger and sweeter with each day- and today was a great day for her as she was left out of her crate while i did m,y errands down the hill and absolutely no damage, no adventures for Aggy while i was gone! Hurray for Miss Aggy!! You are growing into a fine trustworthy young pup.
Dinner tonight was simple pasta veggies and Quorn meatballs...i do so love their products. However i have to do something about a timer- after the one on the upper oven broke i have been lost which usually means i get lost back in my work in my office and forget something is cooking- tonight the water was burning out from under the steamer...thats OK the veggies survived albeit not as el dente as i would like...and the pasta was definitely not el dente but again survived.

So dinner is complete and its time to get some evening work done... evenings are often times of great productivity for me as the phone stops ringing the pups quit clamoring to be let out and the silence descends up here on the hill....so as the sun sets over the snowy mountains and the pups snore around my office i feel the words coming...and its a great feeling

Chery
Knoxville, TN

No comments:

Post a Comment